Are you going through depression? Then these bible verses about depression are for you.
Depression is neither a sin nor a sign of a lack of faith. People who are very spiritual and firm with God also experience times of depression.
Elias felt depressed to the point of wanting to die. Jeremiah was so depressed that he wished he had never been born! (Jeremiah 20: 17-18) Still, God sustained them and helped them to overcome suffering and depression.
Sadness is a natural feeling, it is impossible to go through life without experiencing sad moments, but sorrow over time naturally softens and passes. When it lasts a long time, without joy, it can be a symptom of depression.
The important thing is to recognize the problem and be willing to fight it. The journey will certainly not be comfortable, but you will not be alone. God is always ready to deliver the seeker.
What does the Bible say about depression?
Depression is a mental disorder characterized by an aversion to activity.
It can affect thoughts, behaviors, feelings … It is characterized by a prolonged period of sadness and discouragement.
The person with this disorder day by day sees the joy disappear and realizes that it is challenging to see life positively.
Depression is an evil that has affected millions of people, Christians and non-Christians alike.
Not infrequently, we see on the news an alarming number of people who choose to give up and take their own lives driven by depression.
Those who suffer from this condition may experience intense feelings of sadness, anger, worthlessness, fatigue, hopelessness, the will to live, and many other symptoms.
Depression is to be taken seriously, as this evil gradually sucks life away. The person who was once radiant starts to lose interest in things and people they were happy with before.
God guides us through the Bible to be filled with joy: “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice.” (Philippians 4: 4) Why does the Highest direct this to us? Because joy is an important weapon to combat this evil.
God wants us all to live happy lives. This is not easy for someone suffering from this disease. Still, it can be remedied through prayer, study, and application of the Bible verses about depression below.
You Are Not The Only One In This Situation
God understands you and understands your situation. Know the state you are in and the degree of sadness that afflicts you.
Depression is sadness out of control. But you have to fight and how to win it. Did you know that great heroes of faith described in the Bible have already faced sadness and depression?
Talk to God without reservation and invite Him to come in because when the Light enters, the darkness goes away.
1. Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He, Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you”. (Hebrews 13: 5)
2. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you [will have tribulation but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)
3. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall [a]direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
4. A merry heart [a]does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)
Also Related: Top 55 Proven Bible Verses to Strengthen Your Faith.
Don’t Give Up
Fighting depression is not easy and takes time, but surely God will help you. Remember, you can feel that you are alone, but you are not. You have a true friend you can count on in this fight, so don’t give up.
5. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)
6. A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. (Proverbs 17:17)
7. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. (1 Peter 5: 6-7)
8. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Philippians 4: 8)
God Will Console And Heal You
God is a God of love and will comfort you. Jesus lived on earth as a man and also felt sad. He understands how you feel.
9. Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. (Matthew 5: 4)
10. Therefore, in all things, He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.
For in that He Himself has suffered, being [a]tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted. (Hebrews 2: 17-18)
11. For I will restore health to you And heal you of your wounds,” says the LORD, ”Because they called you an outcast saying: “This is Zion; No one seeks her. (Jeremiah 30:17)
12. O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar. (Psalm 42:6)
Joy Will Return
No matter how dense the night is, it is overcome by dawn. Do not give up. Sadness will not last forever after every storm comes the calm.
It may even seem that all this sadness that currently consumes you will not end, but it will! God promises that it will! Your sorrow will be transformed into joy!
13. You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off [a]my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, (Psalms 30:11)
14. For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life. Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. (Psalms 30: 5)
15. You have multiplied the nation And [a]increased its joy; They rejoice before You. According to the joy of harvest, As men rejoice when they divide the spoil. (Isaiah 9:3)
16. And now my head shall be [a]lifted up above my enemies all around me. Therefore I will offer sacrifices of [b]joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord. (Psalm 27:6)
17. And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, And come to Zion with singing, With everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, And sorrow and sighing shall flee away. (Isaiah 35:10)
18. Therefore you now have sorrow, but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. (John 16:22)
God Has Good Plans For You
There is hope for you! The Lord’s plans are excellent and perfect. This may escape your eyes at the moment, but when you can’t find hope for the future, trust God.
19. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)
20. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)
21. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away. (Revelation 21:4)
22. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Before you were born I sanctified[a] you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations. (Jeremiah 1:5)
23. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart to all generations. (Psalm 33:11)
God is always by your side, even in the darkest of times
Some days you may feel like you’ve lost all your strength. That the world could be perfectly fine without you. Remember: You are loved and dear to a God greater than the entire universe.
When you feel lonely, anxious, or depressed, look to Heavenly Father because He will give you the strength you need to keep going.
24. And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed. (Deuteronomy 31:8)
25. Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
26. Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people; But the LORD will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you. (Isaiah 60:1-2)
He will protect you
When you feel weak, hopeless, or lost, look to God. He works as a shield around you, protecting you from harm.
Even when you feel completely broken by feelings of depression, He is still there to lift you and protect you from harm.
27. But You, O LORD, are a shield [a]for me. My glory and the One who lifts up my head. (Psalms 3:3)
28. For it is written: He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you. (Luke 4:10)
29. But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. (2 Thessalonians 3:3)
30And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen! (2 Timothy 4:18)
31. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart And saves such as [a]have a contrite spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. (Psalm 34: 18-19)
He hears your cries.
He hears your cries and will rescue you from the well you are in. Stabilize you and put a song in your heart that you have never experienced before.
When others ignore your cries for help or your tears of pain, God will be there. Not only is it there, but it is waiting to lift you up from the well and put you in a place where you can stand your ground.
32. I waited patiently for the LORD, And He inclined to me And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear And will trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:1-3)
33. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. (Psalm 40:2)
34. Answer me speedily, O LORD; My spirit fails! Do not hide Your face from me, Lest I be like those who [b]go down into the pit.
Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know how I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You. (Psalm 143:7-8)
35. The righteous cry out and the LORD hears And delivers them out of all their troubles. (Psalm 34:17)
36.They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing, For the majesty of the Lord. They shall cry aloud from the sea. (Isaiah 24:14)
37. Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The [a]help of my countenance and my God. (Psalm 43:5)
38. My soul still remembers And [a]sinks within me. (Lamentations 3:20)
God has a mission and a purpose for your life!
Discouragement can shake the most heroic faith and weaken the strongest will. But God understands and still pities and loves. He reads the motives and purposes of the heart.
To wait patiently, to trust when everything seems dark, this is the lesson that leaders in God’s work need to learn. Heaven will not fail you on the day of adversity.
39. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27).
40. Return to the stronghold, You prisoners of hope. Even today, I declare That I will restore double to you. (Zechariah 9:12).
41. He shall pass through the sea with affliction, And strike the waves of the sea.
All the depths of the River shall dry up. Then the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, And the scepter of Egypt shall depart. (Zechariah 10:11).
42. In righteousness you shall be established; You shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear. And from terror, for it shall not come near you. (Isaiah 54:14)
43. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
44. The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble. (Psalm 9:9)
45. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround him. (Psalm 32:10)
46. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)
47. You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, Shall revive me again And bring me up again from the depths of the earth. (Psalm 71:20)
48.Sorrow is better than laughter, For by a sad countenance the heart is made [b]better. (Ecclesiastes 7:3)
49. The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit? (Proverbs 18:14)
Do not give in to depression. Meditate on these bible verses about depression daily.
Avoid thinking about problems, mostly because if you think about issues too much, it will not help you unless it leaves you even more troubled.
Never make hasty decisions, always be calm, patient, and never fail to consult God about all things or about a decision you may be trying to make.
Always remember, God’s word is healing, it is life, it is strength, it liberates and saves.
No matter what the circumstances, God has the power to heal and deliver everyone who believes in Him. Say amen!